Monday, January 02, 2006

Kitty Pi a Little Late for Christmas

Yeah, I know. Cats don't know it's Christmas. They might be intrigued by all the wrapping and ornaments and the smells of the stuff we drag out of the attic every December -- but they have no concept of the gift giving season.

That's why I wasn't too concerned that I didn't complete my Kitty Pi in time for Christmas morning. But I did, however, finish it. While my husband likes to think it was to give our cats a belated Christmas gift, I'll let you in on a little secret: it was to get rid of the bulky yarn taking up valuable space in my yarn drawer.

I got the pattern from Wendy Knits. I bought the yarn several months ago but never had dpns in size 15. I hadn't knitted successfully on dpns before -- I normally work with two pairs of circulars, but I could just not figure out how to cast on 9 stitches and then increase in every stitch with the two circulars. I was a frenzy of wires and needles so I worked in dpns. I guess you could say I'm no longer a dpn virgin. Imagine that.

Anyway, on to the Pi. I used Paton's Up Country wool (Crazy Aunt Purl swears by the stuff and I am as bummed as she is that's it's been discontinued...)




Here's the Kitty Pi all knitted up but not felted yet.


Pre-felted with an inspection by Chance


Further inspection by Chance


Kitty Pi is now felted but not yet blocked

I only had to wash it once in the hot/cold cycle. I think next time I may try the warm/cold cycle instead because I feel like it shrunk up a bit much. (Next time? Yes, I bought enough wool for two kitty pi beds...)


Again, the inspection team at work


After blocking and drying, Moneypenny loves her Kitty Pi


She refuses to share


Beat it, Missy. This Pi is all mine. Wait for the next one to be knitted...


3 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow, that's amazing!!!! Great job. I'm trying to visualize the using two circular needles to do dpns job. Hmmmmm.

I'm also new to the whole felting thing. I don't understand it. Perhaps I'll go read what it is.

Happy New Year!

Marissa said...

So great. Perhaps you've inspired me to make one for my beasts. Those brats would love it. If only I could get over my fear of dpns. Felting...I'm cool with...dpns...not so much. Looks great!! When will you post your FANCY Sea Ranch wool scarf in process??

Kellie Sweeney said...

Fantastic and so effective, oh no I feel another project forming - I have a Jack Russell who thinks he's a cat & he would love one of these!