Friday, March 25, 2005

What do you mean -- a 4th needle??

I'm approaching my 2nd full month of knitting experiences. And I have to say I am quite proud of where I've come -- and I'm always trying new things that are more than just knit and purl.

But if I've learned anything -- it's that it takes more than one try to get it right. (Um...try 5 0r 6...or 10!)

My latest project: a hat knitted "in the round" on double-pointed needles. Sounds exciting. Let's get started.

Here's what the pattern says: "For the Brim: with smaller double-pointed needles, cast on 60 sts, dividing sts evenly on 3 needles. Join for working in the rnd, and place marker to indicate the beg of the rnd. Work in ribbing as follows..."

Ok. Sounds relatively easy. Figuring out how to cast on 20 on each needle was a lesson in dexterity, but I managed. Next step: Knit.

This part...not so easy. Picture this: There are three needles forming a triangle (fig A). To start knitting I used two needles to knit the first row, the third one dangling on it's own. I knited my first 20 stitches, and now I've got 40 stitches on one needle and 20 on another (fig B). And guess what??? No slack. How the hell am I to knit the next 20?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com fig A Image hosted by Photobucket.com fig B


Alas, a quick Google search for "knitting in the round" and my puzzle is solved:

USE A FOURTH NEEDLE, DORK.

Ok. Got it. Now I try again...

No comments: